Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Furniture Envy

Yeah, stranger things have happened, but I’ve come to the realization that I’ve got furniture envy. I’ve been here for about a month now and still I’m mostly sitting on the floor (or on the bed on the floor) when I’m in my room. I’ve been thinking about my furniture a lot more than before. This morning I was sitting on the edge of the bed, contemplating clothes for the day when I got distracted by where I think things will go. That is as soon as I haul them across the bay and lug them up the stairs into my lithesome blue room. Timing seems to be everything. I’ve been busy during the day with a ton of other projects that need to get done. I also need to enlist some help to help with the half dozen bulky items and the multitude of little boxes of clothes and whatnot. I appear to have quite a lot of whatnot. With any luck I’ll be trimming it down a bit, but it seems to act like weeds, growing out of control when you look away.

I will be getting one piece of furniture on Saturday. I broke down and bought a loft bed. While contemplating furniture placement this morning, I also questioned the wisdom of a not quite-in-shape, short, 35 year old climbing in and more importantly, out of a loft bed on a regular basis. I actually thought about how and when I would admit to you that something stupid/funny/dangerous had occurred and if I would get a decent price on craig’s list for it. The allure of having a place to paint and sleep without taking up any extra space was just too great to ignore. Only time will tell if this was as good an idea in reality as it was in my head.

So, I’ve been enviously eyeing other people’s furniture. Even a crappy chair or table is better than propping myself up with pillows and using boxes as nightstands and table tops. I'm thinking that I will get a little couch of sorts for my cool window area. Something cheap or free would be nice, but maybe something that can fold out to a bed. I'm pretty sure that house guests will not be likely to be happy sleeping in a loft. This couch idea is still pretty loose, but I've noticed that there are quite a few people offering their truck to move things around the area. Very good to know especially when the sofa of my dreams appears.

This morning while I waited for my coffee to drip into my cup, I flipped through a Hold Everything catalog. My God, how extraordinarily overpriced this stuff was. Granted they are not marketing to me, but to the wealthy people looking to better organize their casual button-down blue shirts, their shoes of every color and their out of season garments in a timeless classic way. My budget is more comfortable with my plastic containers with p-touch labels rather than the discrete beige canvas with matching leather tags. It’s just stuff to store my whatnots and as I mentioned before I’m looking to reduce the whatnots in my life anyway.

On a completely different note, I wanted to wish Cat a very Happy Birthday today. With any luck she was the recipient of a German Chocolate Cherry Bundt Birthday Cake after mentioning to her roomies via IM that she loves this cake most of all.

No comments: