Sunday, March 9, 2008

Trying something new


So on a recommendation of a friend, I've been trying out something new. I've been painting with watercolor paints and other mediums that are similar for so long, I wasn't sure if I could change and learn how to use acrylics. I bought some paints and had been dabbling for a bit. Since I hadn't made much progress, I signed up for a workshop. So we've been messing around and now we are working on a painting of our choice. So here's a picture of the underpainting that I am working on.

So this is first part of the painting. On Wednesday we will do a technique called glazing that will put transparent pigment over the grey scale of the undercoating. The color should make it pop. I'm kinda exciting by the black and white part right now. I can't wait to see how it will look after I add the color. I'll post an up-date with the color version later this week.

2 comments:

pemdas said...

Very interesting. Even in acrylic, your signature brush stroke comes through. I'd think to think that I could recognize a stephfour painting anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Yay for trying new things : ). I've only finished three paintings (three more are in the works), but it's very interesting, seeing what translates from one medium to another...and what does not. I look forward to seeing what you (and E2) come up with!!