Friday, March 28, 2008

Welcome Home Gomer

Over the past couple of days, Nadine has been working tirelessly in the basement trying to clean out the seemingly endless piles of mouse poop she's found down there. They've gotten into the stuffing in her upholstery projects and she's pretty pissed off. So last night she came up and asked how I felt about getting a mouser to deal with this latest issue. While it's not a serious home security issue, mice or rats in the basement are pretty high up there. She's had cats before and while there have been musings over getting a cat, she seemed pretty serious. So as anyone who knows me, I'm pretty easy going about most things, but I was actually excited about the possibility of getting a real-life kitty cat. So, I told her that I was still okay with getting a cat. I went back to my paperwork and she descended into the basement for another round of vacuuming and checking for nests.

So today I was off and decided that I needed to get another couple of boards for my paintings and knew that SCRAP often had large pieces that I could cut down to meet my needs. Nadine asked to tag along to peruse for fabrics. On the way back, I noticed that she passed our turn on Potrero. When she passed the 22nd street turn, I starting thinking. Of course it didn't take long for me to catch on as we turned down Florida street and pulled into SFSPCA. Unlike the average pound or ASFCA location, this one had gotten a grant a while back from a major corporation and the cats and dogs are in seriously cool digs. Kitty condos and TVs are in most private rooms. You can walk around and read little summaries about the animal and see if they might have the right personality for you. So we cruised around and spotted this cat, Cooper, that caught Nadine's eye. We found a volunteer to introduce us and we spent a few minutes with him. He was a chatty boy and came right over to check us out. First he let Nadine pet him and scratch behind his ears. Next he cam over to me and hopped right into my lap! We didn't want to make a hasty decision, plus Nadine was hoping to get a couple of cats. So we went and looked at the bonded pairs. But Cooper had already stolen Nadine (and my) heart. We left to go and check on a friend at the house and talked about the cats we met. Before you knew it we were back to go pick out a cat. We met with Cooper again and decided that he was our guy. That second cat, well maybe later. Turns out Cooper had some medical issues and that it was decided to let him settle in with us (and us with him). If we still want another cat, we can pick them out later.

So I bet you are wondering what's up with Gomer? Well it turns out that our little kitty friend had been in the adoption center for a while. I week before, they decided to put a little kitty curb appeal to work and changed his name from the more humble Gomer to a sexier, tall-dark-and hansome Cooper. While Cooper is a really cute name, we decided that if he was Gomer for 5 years already we'd call him Gomer too. Welcome Home Gomer Sgro! Isn't he just a cutie?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new addition : )!