Wednesday, August 14, 2002

Back to the Nest and other odd dreams

I had a dream a few nights ago where I moved back home to my parents’ house in New York. It was strangely surreal, as dreams often are, and peaked my curiosity. I was curious how bad things got that I was back here again. Everyone was happy to see me and tried not to speak derisively of California. I did typical things, running errands and finding old stomping grounds and favorites somewhat strange. As if the people and places weren’t quite right, like a counterfeit version of my memories.

The odd part is that it’s been forever since I’ve been able to remember a dream. The next night I found myself working for an English family. I assumed that I was a tutor of some sort, but found myself getting asked to do all sorts of household tasks. Many of which I did improperly. So I was constantly being corrected by the lady of the house who was a mix between Julie Andrews and Patricia Rutledge’s character Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping up Appearances. I was miserable and questioning why I had taken this sort of job. After days of torment which included her deciding that she didn’t like my clothes, I starting M’am-ing her and suddenly everything wasn’t as bad. This one made me question how well (or in this case how poorly) I adapt to change.

Last night (yeah, three dreams in a row) I was traveling abroad. Some guy kept calling my cell phone and yelling at me that I was robbing him blind, that my price was too high and hanging up. It seems that we were in some state of negotiations and he would do this at least once a day. Whoever I was with when the call came would look at me alarmed that someone was screaming at me. I would shrug, knowing that it would only be a minute and he’d be gone. Once I hung up on him (not sure why I kept taking his calls, but I did) and I thought that this would have pissed him off enough to stop. So as I’m dining and shopping my way through several European cities and smaller towns, I get these calls. I don’t know what I’m negotiating for, but finally he relents and tells me I drive a hard bargain and that he’ll agree to my original terms. My companion during this call must have been an assistant or something and asks if I’ve closed the deal. I say yes and he smiles saying that I make it look easy to sell art (seems I’m some sort of art dealer) and I reply that the artist did all the work and that they seem to sell themselves.

I love it when I actually remember my dreams, but most of the time I don’t. The ones I used to have a lot but don’t anymore are the “Bad Day at Work” dreams. Those are so disappointing because I never seem to be able to get away from the stress, while awake or asleep. I’m not having those dreams at all and that is very good. I’m spending a lot of time trying to get a lot of little things done as my house-sitting job is just about done. I’m not doing a very good job, but this is not the end of the world. Back when I was idle I could spend all my time running errands and doing these little things, so I know how truly time consuming they are. Now I’m prioritizing and acting like the rest of the world.

Of course I’m making time for fun, like the visit from my sister and her family for the weekend. I need to find some things that my 5 year old niece will enjoy, so this can be a pleasant diversion for all of us. Hopefully the weather will be nice. Talk to you all next week!

No comments: