Friday, August 30, 2002

Where did August go?

I’m sure it was just here a minute ago, I look up and it’s August 30th. Damn! Well it’s been a busy month for me. Last weekend I was out and about being social and planning on spending some time checking out storage places. I went out for Sushi with people I know from Brightpoint. Judy’s husband works as a sushi chef and we were able to dine well for cheap and catch up on each others lives. On Saturday, Di and I brunched. I will openly admit that it was my idea to get there early, but I didn’t take into account being out so late the night before. So my plan to cruise around checking out storage lockers turned into a nice little nap. Later that afternoon I picked up Cabala and we went back to the East Bay to have dinner with Laura and Richard. They regaled us with tales of their 3 month trip and Richard showed off his impressive souvenir collection.

The next day I went with Esther to catch a matinee of Mostly Martha in Marin. A very cute movie and one where you come out craving food. Esther and I discussed all the movies that feature food prominently, like Big Night, Eat Drink Man Woman, Babette’s Feast, and Tortilla Soup. Then we went to run some errands, pick up some food at Ranch99 and went home to eat and make what Esther calls gerschlomp. Gerschlomp is a medley of food that gets mixed together and combines to be a healthy well-balanced meal. I must say it was really good and I ended up with a few lunches worth of food to take home. I know Cat also has her cooking kit days where she cooks a bunch of food to eat that week. I really need to try to do something like this myself. It just seems so easy and convenient.

Monday night I ended up going out with Christopher. We did a little shopping and he took me to this Italian restaurant that reminds me of the ones in Silver Lake, the predominantly Italian neighborhood I grew up in. It was good to see him and to catch up. Plus I needed to be sure that he’s in good health and spirits since he’s going to help me move my furniture out of storage and into my new place. Thanks Christopher!

Tuesday ( I did mention that this had been a busy week, yes?) I met up with Jay and some of his friends to see Viva Variety, a variety show that showcases gay or gay-friendly performers. I went toViva Variety #26 and had a blast, so I had to go to this one too. One of my favorite groups was Lunatique Fantastique. They do things with found objects that will forever change the way that you look at them. One piece involved a strip tease with vegetable that I guarantee will garner a snicker the next time someone tells you to eat your vegetables.

Wednesday I had my phone installed which took a large chunk of my day that evening went down to meet Elaine and West at ConJose. It’s been years since I’ve been to a SF Convention so it’ll be interesting to see if it’s changed for me at all. I haven’t seen West in over 6 years, so it was great seeing her again. I’ll be there this weekend which will be a good distraction for me. Labor Day Weekend was Becky and my anniversary. I’m not feeling at all melancholy about it at the moment, but usually these sorts of things hit you when you are quietly alone.

Thursday was a low key day for me; I just worked and then printed up some cards for me. I figure that I may run into some people who would be good networking contacts and now I can exchange contact cards with them. I also *finally* made some artist cards that have my website URL that showcases my paintings and other contact stuff on it. I included a picture of one of my paintings too. I am very impressed with it (as one might expect) and can’t wait to hand them out.

Friday is more work, mostly seeing how the website move is going and tying up loose ends before the long weekend. I think I have to do laundry tonight, or at least organize my clothes tonight since I suspect that I am wearing my last clean pair of underwear. I miss having a washer/dryer in my place. But there is a Laundromat right around the corner, so I can’t imagine that I can milk this for much.

Well I had thought to write something other than a week in review, but hey, it’s better than nothing right?

No comments: